SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Survival of the fittest

joshtx
10 years ago

Every time I walk out of my front door I look to the right and see this little test of Darwin's theory.

On the right is Sharifa Asma, very happily growing and blooming as a two year old own-root rose. She is easily set to out pace the Knockout growing next to her.

In the middle is a Knockout. There were two other Knockouts in this space before, but both mysteriously up and died. We tried to replace them with this one but it just hasn't done much in the 5-6 years it's been here, especially when you compare it to the 5X5 monstrous, blade ridden, flesh ripping Knockouts opposite it.

On the left at the front is a two year old, Dr. Huey grafted, Golden Celebration which I rescued from a private nursery at the expense of $5. Compared to The Alnwick Rose and Strawberry Hill which I also rescued, GC has been a ratty, sparsely blooming, underperforming, misery of a plant. The few blooms it does produce give me enough hope that if I am just patient maybe it will amount to something.

Now, GC was put there because my parents wanted the pot ghetto planted. My mom told me to put GC front and center, to which I replied, "Um, in about two-three years this plant will eat that entire front bed area, a small portion of the lawn and the walk to the front door. Are you SURE you want it planted there?" To which she laughed a disbelieving laugh and told me to stick it in that spot, it would be fine.

In light of the growth capabilities of each of these roses, every time I walk out the door I wonder who will eat who first. Perhaps the Knockout will defend its territory? Or maybe Sharifa Asma will pull ahead in an unexpected victory while the other two languish in their complacency? Will Golden Celebration live up to its reputation and become the door guarding, bed eating, titan it is famed to become in enough time to stake its claim to this patch of Earth?

Place your bets now people! :-D

Josh

Comments (13)