SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dspero80

Black Walnut Tree Farm - New Owner

dspero80
9 years ago

Hello All,

I recently purchased a house with about 6 acres of black walnut trees. I'm looking for some advice on how to care for and maintain. The previous owner spent a great amount of time putting down round-up along the rows of trees and mowing in between. There are many other types of trees mixed in; Ash (almost all dead or soon to be, thanks EAB!), sugar maple, oak, tulip, etc. The majority are black walnut, however. All grown to be veneer wood. I estimate somewhere in the range of 700 trees. I think it could be worth a bit of money someday. The white oak have been horrendous with sprouts on their trunks. I've pulled off the little, non-woody sprouts and will try to get the rest in the fall/winter when dormant.

What would you recommend I do to keep up with the trees? Should I continue to round-up and around the trunks and mow the rest? It looks really nice but all said and done, it's about 5 hours of mowing a week! As you can see in the picture, they still have a good 20 years to go before any real value. I am at a crossroad as I've got little free time to spend on the trees due to my job and family. I also worry about the spreading thousand cankers disease. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)