SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianepmt_gw

Late Fall Vs. Winter Pruning on Various Perennials

dianepmt
16 years ago

I'm a relative newbie, and I finally finished the front border beds this Summer after three years of frustration and it looks pretty great. Kind of a combination of controlled cottage and japanese - somehow it works.

I have a couple questions about when to cut back certain plants. Last year I think I just left everything until the Spring and did a big clean-up at that time, but I've added new plants in the meantime I'm not sure about. I've got monster maiden grass that I may have to try to somehow divide next year. It plumes in the fall and looks nice over the winter all dried out, but the grass blades go flying everywhere by very early spring to neighbors yards far and wide - a pain to collect. Will the grass be better off or better behaved in terms of controlling growth if I prune in Fall vs. Spring? I've been doing it in the spring up to now. I'm dreading trying to divide it.

The others are lavendar, salvia, asiatic lillies, morning glory on the porch trellis, some taller sedums (autumn joy?), bell flower, false sunflower, and.... I can't remember the proper name, but a lot of those "roman candles." Purple spikey plants. Prune this fall or next spring? Also goosenecks, a couple of hollies and dwarf evergreens, and blue fescue grass. I cannot remember when I cut back the sedums last time, but I couldn't believe the way they came in like perfect spheres this spring until they started blooming - it was so cool!

Should I pull the morning glory down completely from the trellis and just leave a foot or two at the bottom? It really tangled back on itself.

Last question - I bought 2 plants in the perennials section of my garden center, but they honestly seem like salad herbs and I'm wodnering if they will come back - they have gorgeous foliage: bloody sorrel, and some kind of fuzzy lavendar/pale green sage plant with elongated foliage. Just leaves, I did not see flowers on either, at least not yet, but they got a lot bigger from when I planted them early in summer. The sorrel looks a little mildewed right now, actually. Anyone know if those are perennial plants? I especially love the sage, it looks great with the lavendar and some purply sedums, I'm hoping to have that again next year.

Oh, and I did mulch after planting this summer and I've got a good start on some ground covers, but I've never fertilized other than adding a little compost when planting. Should I amend the soil with something this Fall or in the Spring?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments (6)