SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethr1957

Born Again Rosarian; yes, it is that easy.

13 years ago

Hello fellow addictees!

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you had the chance to start all over with your garden, knowing now what you have learned from then? Moving and divorce gave me just that opportunity. Having begged the indulgence of this court when I started, I shall report.

I started out with 9 bare root and 7 end of the season potted plants on 6/19. The potted plants were from Armstrongs, and robust; the two largest, Black Magic and Welcome Home, have produced "hold me over roses" since day one, but all of the others are doing it too. A few days ago, I harvested my first Just Joey, with its characteristic crooked stems. But today was the real triumph.

Today, 39 days later, I cut an April in Paris. A little small, but it will come. 39 days ago it was a bareroot plant, and the other bareroots are showing color, at least 5 of them. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!

All of my tricks for starting out a plant the right way worked. Only one bare root hasn't broken dormancy, Gemini, and I have the heat lamp on it as we speak.

Planting in June turned out not to be the least bit of a handicap, in fact it has been so cold here the roots are obviously forming first. My tricks:

Sand at the bottom of the hole to keep precious roots from rotting. Nothing worse than wet feet.

Super triple Phosphate for root growth.

A thorough trimming of bare root branches. It stimulates growth.

Epson salt sprays until the bare roots break dormancy.

A good cross the board fertilizer in the hole lower than the root ball. Let the roots grow TO it so they don't shock.

And prudent trimming and dead heading of established store bought bushes. To tell the truth, every bay it is increasingly harder to tell the bare roots from the pots. Clean living (chuckle)!

I have only sixteen bushes, but I have two huge vases full of flowers! Isn't this fun? Anyone else have under 40 day success stories?

Beth

Comments (5)