SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Potted ginkgo seedling advice.

amccour
15 years ago

I got this a few weeks ago, and it's only a couple inches tall. I'm planning on planting it eventually, when it gets big enough that I don't have to worry about it getting trampled, but for the time being I'm keeping it containerized.

Container's fairly small right now. About the size of a coffee cup, I guess. I don't see roots coming out the bottom of it, there's drainage, and it doesn't seem to stay wet too long, so I think it's okay in what it's in for now.

Anyway, I was going to leave it on my porch for the winter. It's more protected, but it'll still get cold enough to knock the thing dormant. I just don't have to worry about wind, ice, or snow drifts that are three times the height of the tree. Would this work, or would my garage or something be better? Ginkgos grow all over the place around here, so I'm not worried about it getting too cold for the most part, but I don't know if younger plants are a lot more sensitive.

It hasn't grown at all since I got it. It's still on my porch, since we have a bit of a chipmunk problem and I have no idea if they'd tried to eat this. It's not getting the MOST light it could get, but it should still be getting a good amount. Should I try moving it somewhere where it'd get more light?

Also, my main issue. How much should I water when it goes dormant this winter? I know it's not going to need a lot since it won't be drying out quickly and won't be using much water, but at the same time, I believe I heard the roots need SOME what to stay alive?

Comments (4)