SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donbrearley

Advice on some Mums please :)

donbrearley
15 years ago

Hello,

I am wondering about these mums.. I don't have much experience growing mums, so I can't say if what I am seeing is normal behavior or if I've done something wrong. The

plant was a little too wet for awhile, which I have corrected. I try to keep these plants moist, not wet.

{{gwi:270887}}

{{gwi:270888}}

Photo 1 is a close up of some of the flowers.. they are quite wilted and spotted. I am presuming (and hoping) that this is just the normal end of life for them and that the plant is healthy and will flower again next season?

Photo 2 is another close up but shows new young buds under the existing flowers..

My question: I am thinking that the right thing to do here is to divide my plant (which I want to do anyway) and then prune off all of the dying flowers leaving only the stems, leaf and the undeveloped buds. Am I correct?

{{gwi:270889}}

Photo 3 is of a cutting I took from this plant a week ago. I took four cuttings. I pruned the flower off and the lower leaves, dipped the end in Green Light rooting hormone and am keeping it in 100% perlite which I keep moist. I usually keep a sandwich bag over it but removed it so that I could get a better shot.. How does it look?

I usually remove the bags for fifteen minutes each day to give the plants some fresh air before putting the bags back over them. I am trying to develop my techniques for propagating via cutting, so advice is appreciated!

Thank you all!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner