SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

obsessed with shredding leaves

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I do not get leaves at my house on the prairie so I have to get them from others' yards. I've been using my MILs electric leaf vac/shredder and love the job that it does. I can fit 7 of the bags into a 40 gallon leaf bag. I did 50 loads of the bags yesterday and got 7 40 gallon bags of shredded leaves for my efforts. I worked about 5 hours on it. However, I did five bags at the moms and there were quite a bit of small twigs and acorns. I blew a hole in the plastic housing, duct tape fixed that. And I started getting holes in the bag but I think a sewn on patch will fix that at least for this year. Thinking about rigging it up with some flexible pipe and duct tape to a trash can, cut a hole in the lid and secure the hose and wala, no more carrying around that heavy bag on my shoulder. My realistic goal is to use all 50 of my 40 gallon leaf bags and fill those up. I am mulching my flowers beds in the spring with the leaves, and using the excess in my compost bins. My unrealistic goal is 100 bags. Is either goal realistic? I have 10 bags currently sitting next to my compost pile. I also have almost unlimited access to cow manure and straw at our farm. Is 100 40 gallon bags going to be enough to do a LOT of composting?

Comments (21)