SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teach_gw

Is Charles Mallerin delicate?

teach
14 years ago

I finally got Charles Mallerin, from Vintage. It is very hard to find. Just my luck, when it arrived it was the weakest of the four. The others were Grace Darling, Ibizia and Osiria, and they are thriving.

Charles arrived as one stick with a few leaves at the top. He was potted in a small pot, just like the others, with Rosetone and alfalfa. The pot has a wick at the bottom so that frequent rain won't be a problem. Despite more alfalfa tea, spraying with a mixture containing fish something or another, Superthrive, he kept going down hill. I even misted him with a 50% water, 50% hydrogen peroxide mixture.

I just got mushroom compost and sprinkled some on top of the soil in the pot. I accidently brushed against Charles, and he fell over and out. There weren't any roots there.

So, is he hard to grow as a young plant? I'd also like to beg rooted cuttings since he is so hard to find, seemed like it took forever for VIntage to list him as available. But if he is hard to grow from a young plant, they might die, too.

Comments (4)