SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

Distant Drums and 5a roses (newbie warning)

veryzer
14 years ago

I've tried HTs in my garden but without much success and so am looking for an alternative. Greenhaven was kind enough to point out David Austins, and in doing some research I also found Buck roses (I told you I'm a newbie). In looking I found DD which looks wonderful. I'm wondering if this is a reliable plant. In reading previous posts I've seen that michael is a big proponent, but terryjean (who must live somewhere around me) has had no luck. Any thoughts on the viability of DD in cold weather?

More generally, any thoughts on a good 5a rose that has the following qualities:

1.) hardy (I don't want to do more than pile soil/

mulch on them)

2.) 3'-4' tall

3.) not pink or white

4.) fragrance would be a plus

I'm basically looking for 4-5 roses for the middle of my front yard garden with some Annabelle hydrangeas I'm going to plant as a backdrop. If I don't have all the same variety I would at least like them to be complimentary in some way. (I figured the mutability of DD blooms would work in both ways.)

I realize this is a hopelessly general question and if you've read through to the end of this posting, much less respond, you are a sympathetic soul.

Thanks.

Comments (19)