SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaxzzir

Need some help choosing a tree

zaxzzir
12 years ago

My wife and I have just moved to a new house. The sadness of leaving my old garden is softened a bit by having brand new space to start planting. Usually I have been the one interested in gardening, choosing the plants, doing the work etc. My wife has now developed an interest in being a part of the planning and choosing. I think this is great but it will take some adjustment on my part...

At any rate we bought a new house and have installed some stone pathways and a small patio. We had soil brought in and have started the construction of new beds. One of those beds stretches the length of the house and then into the back yard. It's about 7-10 feet wide and a little less than 50 feet from the back of the house to the end of the bed. I had a vision of grasses and perennials with a few choice shrubs here and there. My wife is now set on having a small tree in the middle of this space. I don't mind the idea of a tree for that space but I am having a very tough time figuring out what to put there. She wants a maple for shade and for color. The space is a bit small for a full sized tree and I am thinking a smaller maple might work but then I am stumped about how to change the plantings to work with the tree.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Types of maple or other trees that you think might work or any suggestions about what to plant along that space. It separates our back yard from an alley so I was hoping to have a bit of a visual block.

You can see pictures of this space here:

Pictures of the bed

Comments (3)