SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Which companion plants are your wispiest & hardiest?

13 years ago

It is a definite gardening disadvantage to have no clue what a plant will grow into. Plant descriptions can say 18" to 24" but really that's not much information. 'Mounding' now has some meaning to me. Don't want anymore mounding plants, I think, at least not dense ones like Mums.

You all know my garden has little space and lots of roses. The plan was/is to fill in the gaps with companions. I did this with only limited success because many of the plants were not tall. I liked the look of the daylilies and purple coneflowers.

Now I'm planning the fall and winter garden, trying to fool Mother Nature or at least play with the cards she's given me. In the winter we are probably a very comfortable summer zone 7/8, heat-wise with little humidity or rain, mid-80s for highs. We do get temps as low as 18 degrees for 6 or 8 hours during a handful of nights. I have a book, "A Cutting Garden for Florida", in which the authors tell what has worked for them in the Tampa area, but I still don't much know what the plants look like. Many of them call for direct sowing which may turn out to be a colossal failure. In September I can put out Paperwhite narcissus. In October after the heat breaks it is safe to plant seeds of biennials, perennials & cool-weather annuals: pansies, violas, alyssum, larkspur, rudbeckia, poppies (Iceland & California), stocks, calendula, dianthus, quick-growing foxgloves like 'Foxy', petunias, snapdragons, verbena, phlox drummondii, Texas bluebonnets & cornflowers. In Nov-Dec they add statice to the list. Some seeds can be started inside in flats (back on my dining room table???).

OK, I know some of the short ones: pansies, violas, alyssum, but taller ones are unknown to me. Other plants mentioned as hardy: Ammi majus (Bishop's flower), consolida ambigua (larkspur), campanula annuals, i.e., C.isophylla 'Stella', candytuft, statice, Molucella laevis (Bells of Ireland), Silene compacta (catchfly). These will basically be annuals that will be removed when the heat arrives. So if you could tell me your favorites/successes, then I will know what to order. Most of these plants are not available as plants here. Also, long-stemmed carnations interest me. They suggest shorter, fast-growing ones like the 'Knight' series.

From experience I know that dianthus stays green at 18 degrees. I'd like to know how the plants handle that kind of cold. If it's going to be killed even to the ground by a hard freeze or even a frost, then why bother.

Thanks so much, everyone. I want to pick out my seeds online. I'm really excited about Lupine 'Tutti Frutti'. Already ordered Heirloom Mustard, Cleome, and for warm season Pink Milkweed & blue Porterweed.

Sherry

Comments (16)