SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfan

oh no! first visit to 'real' aquarium store!

daylilyfan
18 years ago

you all have done it now.... due to reading this thread... which lead to reading more info and other boards... I left my town to go to the "big city" to a "real aquarium store".... where they don't sell bird supplies and dog bones too.

When I first came to this forum I planned on buying a 12 gal. Eclipse.

Then, you all said - hey - look at something a bit bigger... and so went looking for the max. for my piece of furniture - a 20 gal. high. I went to the largest pet store in my town and found a 20 gal extra high.

OK- had my water tested by friend at work who's really into aquariums, got the run down on filters etc - she said she would help me - go look at fish and see what I liked. By the way, I only had her test my softened well water so far. It was ph 7.5 but hardness of 1 degree - so I have to take in some unsoftened for her to test.

So I went to a big and quite beautiful store today, Aquarium Adventure. There were scores of aquariums - I did not see one dead fish. :-)

Once I saw that the filter needed to go below and how big it was, I needed to scrap the furniture I have and get a real stand. After figuring that out - I was not held back by the 20 inch width. I liked the 3 foot length. I can use the extra depth ok. I settled on a 65 gal. 36x18x24 which will be all the room I will have.

So - the very helpful manager (who was not busy! I went in at just the right time and he spent about 2 hours with me) showed me a lot of fish to consider getting - not right away, but that should more or less get along. Some I would have to choose one or the other - like either powder blue gourami or pearls - not both.

I also have to decide if I want to spend the extra $250 for a "plant" light and $150 for plant dirt (ok, it's not the right terms - but my head's abuzz with fish terms right now) or go with plastic. Plastic seems much simpler and cheaper. But the real did look nice at the store!

I looked at all the different freshwater fish, and made a list of the ones I liked that were non agressive and did not get over 4 inches or so. The guy recommended these as ones to start with from my list...

gold white cloud mt. minnows, longfin leopard danio. Then odessa barb. Corys.

Others I looked at were

apist. cacatuoiole (apist. was not spelled out) these were expensive but really pretty.

Rummy nose tetra, clown loach, cardinal or neon tetra, julii cory, powder blue gourami, rainbow threadfin, platys and swords, and probably one betta.

What do you think??? How many fish in a 60 gal with a Fluval filter system and a person who is responsible enough to learn about correct feeding and water changes? The guy in the store said 10-15 larger ones and 15-20 neon tetra size. Plus 3-4 bottom feeders/algae eaters. He said you start with 5-7, add a few. wait a while, add a few... etc.

-----------

My elderly Mom lives with me, and about flipped when I came home and told her I may get a big aquarium --- she thinks I should get a 10 gal for a year first and then see if I like taking care of one. I wonder if I should? I guess it could always be what you all call a hospital tank? But, I hear the bigger the easier????? This one was so large, I could really see it set up looking beautiful and natural. Plus, if I start out with the 65, I wouldn't have that immediate "want to go bigger " thing it seems people have.... I want to get an exercise bike, and I would put one this size in the computer room where the bike would end up being, and I could sit on the bike and watch the fish.

Comments for a pre-newbie???

Comments (26)

Sponsored