SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

First aquarium for small child

macky77
15 years ago

I hope you're all not too tired answering beginner posts. :) I have a few questions, though, that I didn't seem to quite find answers for in other threads.

What's up... our 2.5-year-old daughter LOVES fish. She points them out excitedly in all her storybooks. She cries when we have to leave the tanks at the petshop. She's riveted to Finding Nemo, but won't watch any other Disney movie. Christmas is coming and we're considering a small tank for her. Obviously, it would be me doing all the upkeep and I'm fine with that.

I've read all the advice urging larger tanks, even for beginners, but this is just not possible for us due to space and financial constraints. I'd like to have something similar to what my dad had when I was a kid - a five-gallon tank with three goldfish. I loved those little guys, lol. When I visited dad on the weekends I'd go straight to the tank and chat them up. :)

1. If this is all we want to do and there's no danger of falling into the "oh they're so beautiful I need to have more" trap, then are we alright with 2 or 3 goldfish and a 3 to 5 gallon tank? We have several other pets (8 cats, 1 dog, 1 horse, 1 mini donkey), so even if she really does get into fish seriously, anything more will really have to wait until she's old enough to take care of them herself, years from now.

2. Would it be risky for us to have a tank when we live an hour away from any pet store or aquarium shop? We usually go the city only once or twice a month. Are there situations where we would need immediate access to a shop? Are there certain emergency supplies we should stock? Would a fish even survive the trip home in those sad little baggies?

3. We live in central Saskatchewan and in the winter we keep our heat set at about 21 degrees during the day and 18 degrees at night. During the summer, it can get quite hot in here as we don't have air conditioning (not too bad if I get the blinds closed in the morning). Is this too much of a fluctuation for fish? Would we be best off with a heater? Can you use heaters on such small tanks? What do we do in summer? I've never heard of aquarium ac, lol. I would definitely find a place in the house where the tank would be out of direct sunlight. Are there fish that would be more hardy than others in these conditions?

4. Is mid-October too early to start (fishless) cycling a new tank to be ready for fish by Christmas? We'd likely run it in the basement until then. Our basement is quite cool. Would that be a problem?

5. If we do decide to do this, I'm looking at the Eclipse 6 or Hex 5. Any particular pros or cons of each? I'd bet she'd be more excited for one of the colourful plastic aquariums, but the more I read the more I know that's not the way to go.

6. I'm a bit timid to try live plants. Would 2 or 3 goldfish be happy with a couple of plastic plants or do I just need to get over it and buy real? If so, what do I get?

I'm sure all of these questions would be duly answered with a visit to the aquarium shop, but I'm always worried about the legitimacy of the advice from store employees and don't know enough about fish to know whether or not what they tell me is well, fishy. ;) TIA

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County