SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluegirl_gw

How vital is a commercial aquarium stand?

bluegirl_gw
18 years ago

I cracked my 20 gallon *cleaning* it--I was prying the top trim off to re-seal it (an old, used tank) to stop some minor wicking of water & gunk there. *sigh* some people are just too stupid to have aquaria.

Okay, so time to upgrade--at least to a 30-55 gallon for the 2 goldies & 2 moors I promised my elderly friend I'd provide a home for.

I will buy from the local pet store--they have bought from ME & I wish to support independents. I've been given an excellent price on 30, 55, & 75 gallon tanks.

But, as you more experienced folks know, the normal 5-year guarrantee is voided if the tanks are not set up on the commercial stands.

I'd LIKE the stand--it would be great to have the storage & an open back to access electrical plug-ins, etc.--but the stands will add ~100 bucks to virtually any tank I chose (leaning to the 55, but it's only $40 less than the 75). And most important--after measuring every conceivable wall, I can't find ROOM for any of the stands. Short of jacking my bed off the floor & shoving a desk & another chest underneath THAT.

I have an old very heavy antique chest of drawers--we're talking about a thing made from slabs of solid wood nearly 1" thick. It's holding a 20 & a 10 gallon right now & is perfectly able, strength-wise, to handle over 1000lbs.

BUT, the owner cautioned that an absolute level surface is required. He said if I wish to chance buying the tank alone to lay down a thick cushioning layer of furnace filter stuff or rubber excercise matting & trim the excess. He emphasized that even a knot-hole on the dresser top COULD be enough to crack the tank.

Cost is a consideration, though I insist on purchasing from this store--they have always been honest with me & traded with me. But the real clincher is SPACE--the footprint length of the stand.

so please; experts, recommendations? Feel free to include stupid ways you've ruined tanks, especially as related to perfect, level support. Or the likelihood of such stress fracturing. Strong opinions & wild guesses accepted. You can disguise any embarassing mistakes of your own as things that a silly *friend* did.

Muchos gracias!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths