SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ottawan_z5a

Changing ground soil texture for easy dig out of buried pots

ottawan_z5a
12 years ago

Need Suggestions for changing ground soil texture for easy dig out of buried plant pots.

I am in Zone 5a so I have to store my potted plants in a cellar during winter and in summer partially bury the pots which have holes on the sides.

It is that time of the year to dig out the plants. My ground soil is not all clay but enough to make it somewhat difficult to dig out the pots and cut the roots. The soil gets a bit hard around the pots and becomes lumpy. There may be a way to make the soil soft for easy dig out of pots in the future, such as adding a lot of sand will make it easy to dig out the buried buried pots and the sand is long lasting but it may not be nutritionally useful for the plants roots that come out of the pot holes to graze for moisture and nutrients.

I just noticed something last week related to this issue.

A narrow strip of my driveway is made up of stone dust (medium or fine crushed stone). I had placed some pots on it and the roots, fairly good amount of it, had penetrated the stone dust area. I found that it was easy to work with a shovel to extract the roots and pots from this medium of stone dust.

I am just thinking that adding good amount (?) of stone dust to the soil will make the soil less compact-able and easy to pull out the pots and then cut the roots that had gone out to graze. My question here is if the stone dust will be detrimental as nutrient source for the plants, or if it will be helpful in some (?) way or just neutral?

Comments (7)