SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michellebell_gw

Need help to save my sourwood

michellebell
16 years ago

I moved in to a new house about 18 months ago. In the front yard was a spindly little pine tree that looked as if it was dying. This spring we took it out and replaced it with a 3 foot wolf's eye dogwood. Within a week the leaves on the dogwood curled, turned brown and the tree looked dead. The nursery said it had been too wet in our area this spring and they replaced the dogwood as per the warranty. I then, on their advice, selected a sourwood tree. It was planted about 3 weeks ago, and even though Kansas is typically very dry, we have had lots of rain until abut the last week, when it has been dry again. In the past week I have watered it twice with a slow sprinkler about 15 minutes at a time. I have been puzzled about how much water to give these trees without overwatering. Our soil is pure, rock hard, clay, but the nursery said they amended the soil to plant the tree.

After watching this merry-go-round of trees, a neighbor finally told us that the people before us had planted several trees in this spot that did not make it. Now, my sourwood is doing what the dogwood did, brown leaves are all shriveled and the blossoms are turning brown. I am new to any type of gardening and have no idea how to save the sourwood, or if it can be saved. There is nothing in particular about the location that would make you think it is bad, is in the front yard, on level ground, gets the same drainage as the rest of the yard, full sun. Am I doomed to just removing the tree and covering the spot with grass (as my husband wants to do)? Or is there hope my sourwood will come back to life? Please help!

Comments (8)