SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Chinese Pistache Tree with Co-dominant Stems

Tim
11 years ago

I am a beginning gardener, and I need some advice about a Chinese Pistache tree I planted in the spring of 2011. Apparently, this tree has co-dominant stems with "included" bark in the crotch. When I purchased this tree from my local nursery, the nurseryman didn't tell me this and he didn't advise me to choose a different Chinese Pistache tree, so I didn't know. Now, over a year after I plant this tree, I find out about its co-dominant stems and included bark and how it may not be good when the tree is mature, because the trunk can split. Below is a photo of this young tree. I have considered removing it and starting over, but I'm not sure. Someone suggested that I should remove the branch on the right, but that would make this tree look even more gangly and awkward than it is right now. Someone else said that the tree will be fine, because that is just how CP trees grow. However, I have seen other young CP trees and they don�t have co-dominant stems. Would someone, who knows something about Chinese Pistache trees, give me some advice on what to do please?

{{gwi:391379}}

Comments (21)