SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Rose Garden From Scratch

15 years ago

Greetings,

As I stated in another thread I've been a member of GW since 2001 but hung around the Vegetable - Organic Gardening and Soil forums as I have a large veggie garden. Well now I wish to plant several large rose and flower gardens in an area we affectionately call "The Park," and I need some suggestions from you more experienced people. My Dad always had roses back when I was a small boy in the fifties but I never learned anything about them. He was always out there pruning and spraying them and although he's long gone now, the roses are still there.

Anyway, to start-out I'll share my growing conditions to allow you to better understand and help me out with your suggestions:

I live in a small rural area (60) miles N/E of Las Vegas Nevada. As you may have guessed it gets very hot here in the months of July and August, and sometimes in to early September. In the winter it will freeze at night but not always. Our rainfall is shall we say...Not So Much. I have water already installed in the park area so that's not a problem. The purpose of this "Park Area" is to provide a secluded area that we can go and sit and relax and enjoy the surroundings. In the center of the park I plan to build a gazeebo (sp?), and in the east half is where I will be growing all the roses and other colorful plants. On the other side of the gazeebo I will plant a lawn and trees, (the trees are already there). As you will see in the photo below I've surrounded the park with Oleanders and a small wall of Texas Rangers. These will serve to provide the seclusion that I'm looking for. Here's a photo of the area looking from East to West:

{{gwi:302948}}

The foreground in the photo all the way to the center is where I wish to build the rose beds and flower area.

More info...

Our soil is sandy with very little to no organic material. I have a literal mountain (tons and tons) of aged horse manure as well as about a hundred bales of straw, plus some aged compost so organic material is not a problem.

For the roses I'm open for suggestions, (I will need many of them). I would like them all sizes and shapes and colors as well as those that smell good. I would like to have a lot of plants that smell good in the park.

Well, I have (and will have) many questions that can be asked as I go along. Money is certainly an object so I will have to build this a little at a time. Fortunately I'm able to do it all myself so I won't have to pay anyone to do things for me.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts and suggestions.

Greg

Nevada

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting