SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Starting a new tropical garden from scratch

artiew
19 years ago

Hi All,

If all goes well, I'll be in a new location by June, and the most exciting prospect is that I now have the opportunity to build a garden from the ground up. This time, I hope to do it *properly* :)

Almost 800sq metres, large Poinciana and other trees at the rear, clay soil and a block that slopes -moderately- at the rear : my initial thoughts are:

- terracing, complete with retaining walls

- curved pathways to give a sense of mystery as the 'jungle' takes hold over time

- all grass removed and replaced with paving/raised beds

None of this is rocket science, but its a world apart from the approach I used with my existing garden (which, to be fair, has a charm of its own :))

In terms of plant choice, lots of native rainforest plants intermingled with the fab four - Heliconias, Gingers, Cordylines and Broms. The front will be more formal - tropical Grevillea in one bed, and a stand of Xanthostemons in the other. I've had a lot of success thus far with my closely-planted Aussie Southerns, and I'm hoping the Pendas will respond in much the same way - visitors to Roma St Parklands in Brissie can see what I'm on about in the Rainforest Walk - very closely planted for such large speciments.

Thats the plan at the moment - watch this space :)

Comments (7)

Sponsored