SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thevinmanfxst

What kind of bin? Recommendations?

thevinmanfxst
16 years ago

I currently have two red worm bins going, but with my new daughter being born, I'm anticipating my household output of vegetable and fruit scraps to increase beyond what my worms can handle. So, I'm wondering if there are opinions on types of bins.

I'm looking at a bin that would not require the shovel and pitchfork type turning...maybe a rolling composter or a tumbler. I've also seen bins where you put scraps in the top, and after a while, the compost can be removed through a sliding door near the bottom. Unfortunately, because of the neighborhood association, it can't just be an unsightly slated box or pile.

The top feeding tyoe bin just doesn't seem like it would work as effectively without manual aeration. And I've heard that getting compost out of the bottom sliding door is a pain.

The other thing that I've read, is that adding scraps to a bin should be stopped if you want to finish off the compost. How do you guys deal with this? Do you collect all your scraps in a separate place and add them all at once? Or, do you have two bins - One for collecting fresh scraps, and the other to complete the compost? I'm thinking this would be an issue with a tumbler or ball.

So...Any recommendations that won't cost me a a huge chunk of change? (All these composters are over $100 - $300 bucks and I'm thinking I might need two...for the above stated reasoning.

Comments (6)