SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftlady07_gw

Newbie NEEDS roses :)

13 years ago

Hi All! I have been poking around this forum for the past few days soaking up as much OGR info as I can and I have definitely decided I need roses. (I mostly hang out on the cottage garden forum)

Little background - DH and I moved into our 1st house a little over 3 years ago and let's just call it a blank slate. the older couple had some yews as foundation shrubs and that's it. We've been working fervently to turn the yard into a cottage garden (very informal, lots of color and something is constantly blooming) and I have rescued tons of perennials and a few shrubs from friends/co-workers/family who otherwise would've chucked the poor things.

And now I need roses! I have one iceberg florabunda that is limping along (BS is a HUGE problem in my area and I want to try avoid spraying as much as possible) so I had to pick off nearly all of the leaves a month or so ago and dispose of them, added a new layer of mulch and things seem to be improving. Typically we have a major Jap beetle problem, but knock on wood, this year they've been okay. I get powdery mildew on my lilacs and some tall garden phlox, but I don't mind it too much.

Okay, so I have fallen head over heels in love with Gallica roses. from what I'm reading (here and online and in my gardening books) I think they're a good choice for me but please correct me if i'm wrong.

It's hard to avoid the knockouts/flowercarpet roses just because they're in every big box store and they're cheap and probably great for beginners - but I just don't like them. I want the big, full peony-shaped, cupped urn shaped flowers. I was avoiding them because I thought I wanted repeat blooms, but I'll sacrafice that to get thet heavenly scent and gorgeous display.

I should also add that I'm leaning towards the smaller (5' or under) roses and I don't have any trellis' or arbors to work with right now, I'd like them to be upright but arched canes are okay as long as they're not too lax.

so am I'm just dreaming or do you think that gallica roses would be a good match for me?

(If you need more info, just ask - I'll be around most of the day today but then I'll be on vacation w/o internet for a few days, but I'll check back over the weekend)

Thanks in Advance!

~Andrea

Comments (7)