SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggyie

Rose newbie, need advice about climber

maggyie
11 years ago

Hello,

My husband I just bought our first home - it is a sweet litte tudor cottage. Unfortunately the previous owners had moved away and let the lawn and garden go for bit before they decided to sell it. Attached is a picture.

We are trying to come up with plans for the front yard. My husband likes the thought of growing a climber around the porch; up the posts and along the roof of the porch line. Not exactly as an arch, but you get the idea.

The thing is it's a large porch. The posts are perhaps 8-10 feet off the ground and even further apart. I don't know how practical his idea is. We are in Cleveland, OH area - zone 6- so that limits us a little too. I've done a tiny bit of gardening but I've never grown roses so I'm intimidated.

In my research I've come up with a few possibiities:

- Eden aka Pierre de Ronsard
- New Dawn
- the Generous Gardner (I don't think this one is large enough though?)
- Sombreuil

I do prefer a pink flower. I love the antique shape and really want a multiple bloomer. Does anyone have other suggestions? In your opinion what's the easiest climber to grow, or the best behaved - not likely to gobble up the whole house ? Do you think this could possibly work? Or are shrubs maybe a better bet.

Comments (16)