SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

planting digitalis now

Ruth_MI
10 years ago

I stopped by a small local greenhouse on the way home from work, and her foxgloves were half off, so most of them came home with me. That's the good news.

Unfortunately for their hopes of winter survival, they're in four-packs -- yes, those small cell packs we get our annuals in. The plants look very healthy, and she's an experienced, good grower. I've bought lots from her before, including digitalis, and have always been happy with everything.

But digitalis are already iffy around here, and these, or course, have had their roots contained in a very small place. I'll tease the roots out gently, and I have a bed that should give them a decent chance of surviving. I can monitor soil moisture easily and water when needed. The bed is in part shade.

She suggested giving them some balanced fertilizer after planting "to encourage root growth." Normally, I'd just add compost, but I'm out. I can buy some, but not sure about the store-bought stuff.

As I type this, I can hear Ken screaming all the way from Adrian "Don't fertilize when you plant things, they're already stressed."

Any other opinions/suggestions?

The digitalis are purpurea, mixed 'Camelot' and 'Apricot Beauty'. A very few 'Camelot' have had small blooms, but most are just foliage, so I should have flowers next year...if you help me to help them to survive their first Michigan winter. Thanks!

Comments (6)