SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlangend1120

Glorious Compost Monday

dlangend1120
12 years ago

Late on posting this, but had pretty good success Monday. I think I can supply all the leaves I need from just my big block and maybe another block on the other side of the hospital that recycles same day we do (which means the daughter will have to ride in my old Mazda Protege, that I treat like a truck, every Monday).

In any case, I first scouted the whole block around while finishing up my chai latte (tons of fresh ginger), I saw that the best candidates were pretty near the house. There was a good collection at one house down at the end of the block. But since I was planning to try to plant bulbs during the same one hour before the daughter yelled at me to get cleaned up for work, I optimized and drove to pick up the big haul. Then I did take the wheelbarrow to the three houses that were nearby and got a good load of leaves, a couple nice bags of leaves and then two trash bins full of cuttings and leaves.

So after dumping those loads back around the pile (the loose leaves were dumped in the grass for future shredding with the mower), I proceeded to plant bulbs. I had turned the compost piles about a month ago, and the nearly-finished pile probably was really nearly finished, so I went to look. It was beautiful black hummus, so I filled my wheelbarrow full and used it to top off my bulbs.

Just thought I'd share how great it was to start off my week at both ends of the compost spectrum!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions