SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twolabs_gw

Please help. Newly transplanted trees looking bad.

twolabs
13 years ago

Hello all-

We are building a new house and recently had 8 trees delivered and installed. I know its not the best time (well, I guess the worst time) to have trees transplanted and installed...but the tree farm guy said it could be done and he'll warranty the trees if they don't make it.

We had 8 trees: 4 Red Oaks, 2 Lacebark Elms, and 2 Autumn Blaze red maples. They were installed last Thursday and I have bubblers on each one, watering twice a day (for about 5 minutes each time). The Red Oaks and Elmsare around 6-7in caliper, and the Maples are probably about 4 in caliper. They were all container grown. So far, the Elms and Maples have been doing fairly well, considering the heat and transplanting. A few leaves are curled and wilted looking, but for the most part they are doing okay.

The Red Oaks are another story. 3 out of 4 are not looking so good. One in particular, lost 75% of its leaves and was oozing sap all over the place about 2 days ago. The sap has stopped oozing, and the leaves have stopped falling (still has green leaves on top), but bugs are ALL over it...apparently sucking up the sap?

The other two red oaks are just looking stressed, mostly brown leaves, a little sap a couple of days ago (no longer oozing new sap). They aren't infested with bugs like the other one.

My questions are: do I keep the same watering schedule? Temps are high 90's and are going to get into the triple digits over the next few days. The tree farm guy only tells me, "All you can do is keep the water on them."

And what can I do about the bugs on that one tree? Its full of beetle looking things and butterflies. It looks like it actually might make it (the remaining green leaves look okay), but i'm worried the bugs might kill it.

The tree farmer said I might want to buy some tree spray to spray over injured areas that were damaged during transportation. Is this something I can just go pick up at Lowes, or do you recommend it?

I put root stimulator on them about 2 days after they were planted (by instruction by the tree farmer), and I mulched around them with pine bark about 2-3 inches deep (but not touching the trunk). I'm not sure what else to do...and I don't want to have to go through the trouble of having them replaced and tearing up my new sod.

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

Comments (12)