SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenmarmi

Sourwood Bark/Trunk Problems

kenmarmi
15 years ago

I planted an 8' Sourwood last October in my garden in Eastern Michigan. The tree was just starting to turn to its beautiful red folliage when it was planted - gave us a couple weeks of great color!

We had a rough winter here in Michigan, lots of cold weather and cold winds - so there were quite a few dead ends at the tips of the branches - which I trimmed off in the spring. The tree looks great, beautiful light green with white flowers all over it (and tons of honeybees flocking to it!)

My BIG problem is that yesterday I found a cracked and curling bark barely attached near the base of the Sourwood. I peeled back the dead bark and found small greenish caterpillar worming its way under the bark, with quite a few ants running up and down the tree.

After talking to my neighbor who has more background with trees than I do, I peeled back the dead and rotting bark to the point where I found good attached bark which hasn't been impacted by the rot or insects. Problem is that the rot went about 2/3rds away around the trunk of the tree, and so there is ONLY 1/3 healthy bark attached. The rotted bark extended from its base at soil level, about one foot up the tree (to a point where I found that an old branch had been cut off, and the remaining portion of the branch (it didn't extend out past the bark) seemed like it was dry-rotted (broke up easily when flicked with a fingernail).

I have sprayed the tree and the area around the tree with insecticide to get rid of the ants and caterpillars. Now, I am wondering - will this beautiful tree with only 1/3 of its trunk with "live bark" be able to survive? Is there anything that I can do to protect the trunk where the bark has been rotted/removed? I have searched far and wide on the web with no information on this problem. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)