SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hopdog_gw

Sourwood tree looks stressed - help needed

hopdog
14 years ago

First, I'd like to thank everyone for all of the useful info I've picked up on this forum as I've lurked here for the past two years as a new homeowner. You guys and gals are great!

I was hoping you could give me some suggestions as to what might be going on with our sourwood. We planted the tree last fall...trunk diameter roughly 1" in size, and approx 6-7 feet tall at the time. Kept our fingers crossed that it would still be with us in the spring, and lo and behold a few weeks ago it was showing healthy buds on every branch, and shortly after began to produce bright green, shiny, healthy leaves. We were ecstatic.

Now, less than a month later, it looks like the leaves (and tree I guess) are not doing very well...they have changed to a dull green with some red in them and for lack of a better term look more "limp". Now we are a little worried.

I've been trying to come up with any factors that may have changed and stressed the tree. This is all I could think of:

1) Temps were in the high 60s to 70s during the day and 50s to 60s at night when the tree was doing well. Then we had a few nights get down into the low 40s, with the threat of frost (but never frosted) right around the time the tree crumped.

2) I accidentally hit the base of the tree with the string trimmer and put a little gouge into the bark...looks like its healing and the rest of the trunk looks OK

3) *ROOKIE MISTAKE* - I used organic tree spikes approx 30" from the base of the tree, at less than the recommended rate (manufacturer says 3 for a 1" diameter tree, I only used 2). I'm pretty sure I did this after the leaves started turning red though.

4) Mulched the tree bed with Right Dress licorice root mulch, leaving a 3" radius circle free of mulch right at the tree base.

5) We've had a ton of rain lately (Philadelphia) and I was wondering since we have soil with a lot of clay in it if it wasn't draining well enough. We had a lot of rain during the time the tree was doing well though also.

Maybe the problem is multifactorial, with too many of these changes occurring in a short period of time and led to some stress? Any suggestions for how to proceed? I'm thinking I'm going to stay the course and leave everything ALONE for a while and hope the tree recovers...the only thing I might do is get a soil test to check the pH and make sure it is acidic enough.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and I apologize for this being so long!

Comments (3)