SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenderkat

Box Elder..................poor health?

tenderkat
15 years ago

Hello All,

I have a mature Box Elder, probably around 35+ feet tall, 2-3 foot diameter. This tree stands about 10 feet from the foundation of our home, which is bordered up to and around the tree with flagstone. Along another side of the tree lies a huge cement patio. Approximately 20 feet next to it lies an enormous cottonwood tree as well. So, basically only about a third of the trees root zone receives water. We purchased our home in 2006. Both last and this summer I've noticed mass quantities of mushrooms sprouting around the base of the tree trunk, attached to the roots, and it has suffered from a MAJOR aphid infestation both last and now again this year. There is also what appears to be very fine sawdust coming from a verticle twist in the trunk near the bottom. There are several knots along the trunk and lower branches, a couple which appear hollow. It also seems to house midsize black ants, which I'm sure are farming the aphids. It also has a bit of deadwood scattered throughout. I'm not sure what, if any, of these descriptions are valid to the health of the tree, but am I right to be concerned about any of these issues? I'm assuming that this is probably a fairly old tree, but of course I know nothing about Box Elders. I happen to love this tree, and a few people have told me that it is probably on it's decline, but I want to do everything I can to extend it's life. Are there any of these issues that I should address? Should I remove the mushrooms as they come up? Can the aphids kill a tree this large? What can I do to help improve the condition of this tree? I know this a lot of info, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Katherine

Comments (5)