SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

HELP what tree, small yard, need patio shade

kimcoco
13 years ago

I am in desperate need for suggestions. We mistakingly planted a quaking aspen in our yard, due to our own ignorance as a first time homeowner, the tree is highly invasive, and now our neighbor wants to plant the same tree in their yard. We live on less than 1/8 acre lots.

Neighbor has a very small yard, tiny, looking for a patio tree to provide shade...they have small children, so they don't want anything fruiting, thorny, or otherwise undesirable for small children. They like full sun in other areas, as they like to garden, so a 40 foot tree will not work here.

I compiled a list from a prior post. Some of these won't work for various reasons, but following are the suggestions I received:

Red Buckeye Aesculus Pavia x homestead

Maackia Amurensis

Katsura Heronswood

Sargent Cherry - fruiting

Hathorne Winterking - thorny

I had a list of cons of these trees, but I lost my post and had to start over. I don't feel like doing the research again.

Of that list, some fruit, some are thorny, some pollen can cause allergic reaction, some have roots that like to sit at the surface so I don't think that would be ideal next to a patio in a tiny yard, etc. They are also looking for something with moderate to rapid growth. Yes, I know we're probably reaching for the stars.

So, I'm looking for more suggestions. The area gets full sun, they aren't religious about watering so it would have to be pretty hardy, clayish, zone 5 hardy. Please help. I'll have a heart attack if they plant the dreaded popple.

The only one that I'm thinking may be ideal is the Magnolia Dr Merrill or White Stardust.

Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

Comments (2)