SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Recommendations for 5.5' Pillar Rose in "Ancient Roman" Garden

Hello All,
I have become a rather avid gardener over the last year, but only recently have sought advice directly from others online. I have been recreating a nearly entirely accurate Ancient Roman Villa garden (I have used some modern cultivars of common Ancient Mediterranean plants). I was a Classics major and have spent a great deal of time reading Pliny the Elder, Dioscorides, and other ancient authors who detailed botany on some level in order to put together as accurate a variety of species and presentation as possible. It's also been pretty darn fun to boot.

I have two columns that are 5.5' in height and about 8" in diameter for the majority of the column. I would like to use these as bases for pillar roses. I have never attempted a pillar rose, but have had great success with climbers and all other types of shrubs here in Southern California. I'm not planning on planting these pillar roses until bare root season comes along so I have some time to weigh my options. I also am planting a new rose bed so I can easily repurpose any extraneous pillar roses into the new bed. In short, I don't mind ordering several varieties ahead of time that I like and narrowing my decision later.

I understand that an Alba, Damask, or other ancient rose type would be the best thematic fit, but I would like either a wonderful once blooming vibrant colored rose to counter the stark white column or a similarly vibrant remonant rose. As for color: red, pink (ideally brighter), or even a Ferdinad Pichard type striped rose would fit nicely, but I do love dark purple roses as well. This climate is very conducive to happy roses, so I expect I don't need a very tall or vigorous variety to comfortably span only the length of the column.

I personally love very full Centifolia, Gallica, or other lush blooms with dark green foliage. I've recently become very intrigued by Moss Roses and would love to know if anyone has any experience with a Moss pillar, whether a once blooming or Perpetual Moss. Scent is always important to me when I consider a rose. I particularly enjoy Tea roses' scent and the the scents of most lavender Floribundas such as Blue Girl and Angel Face. I'd love to hear your recommendations and experience -particularly in this or a similar climate- with pillar roses. The spots the pillar roses will be receive full sun just about all day from 8 AM year round. And the spot where the other rose bed will be also receives day long full sun year round should any spill over ordering occur.

Thank you for any and all input,
Happy Gardening,
Jay

Comments (10)