SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Leaf pattern and nutritional deficiency?

rosefolly
9 years ago

The lower (older) leaves of a hybrid perpetual are showing a vivid pattern that I suspect is caused by nutritional deficiency. I do water this bed regularly, so while there may be mild water stress when it gets hot, on the whole I think it gets reasonable water. And I remember that this same thing has happened on previous years.

My soil is a sandy clay and it is alkaline. There is a lot of limestone around here. ( In fact there are several wineries on the next hill over; the Santa Cruz Mountain appellation is the oldest wine making region in California.) I do understand that high pH can interfere with plants being able to make use of nutrition that is actually present in the soil. Still, I am curious to know that it actually is that the plant is lacking.

I should mention that my best guess is magnesium. I originally thought iron deficiency, but this is happening on older leaves. I do have other roses where it is happening to younger leaves and there I suspect iron deficiency.

I've studied pictures in books and come up with a different decision each time. I'd like some other opinions.

Rosefolly

This post was edited by rosefolly on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 10:05

Comments (8)