SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Nutritional deficiency or Bean mosiac virus?

bella_trix
16 years ago

My tobacco worm beans have not been looking very good. I was going to post a "is this how tobacco worm beans should look", when I noticed the deformed leaves. Ever since they reached 8-12inces, they have been smaller, less vigerous and have very delicate (spindley also works)runners. They are also now more yellow than my other beans. Then, I noticed that the blue lake pole in the same bed is starting to have the same deformed leaves, despite it's good growth. On the other hand, the Uncle Steve's Pole in another bed is trying to take over the garden (and maybe the world next). Other beans from further away also look good. This one bed (with the tobacco worm beans) was a little rushed and has some odd stuff mixed in. No, I haven't done a soil test on it yet (need to).

Can anyone tell me if this looks more like a deficiency or like bean mosaic virus? If it could be the start of a virus, how will they look next? I'm a little suspicious because it started with one bean type from a seed saver (non comercial) source. Even though my other beans look good, I'm now imagining funny leaves everywhere. If this is bean mosaic virus, I'm guessing I can't save seed from any of my plants even if they look OK?

Zeedman and Gardenlad, I would really like your imput, if possible!

Thank you,

Bellatrix

Comments (2)

Sponsored