SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phebe_greenhouse

Why are so many people afraid of using lots of manure?

phebe_greenhouse
13 years ago

All my gardening life I have noticed that a lot of gardeners seem to view manure as equivalent to 25-10-10 soluble fertilizer: they are afraid to put hardly any on their gardens.

Over the years people have come to our barns to get manure and they'll take maybe two bushels, or a wheelbarrow full and think they've done something! Darn, I'd put a wheelbarrow full on 4 square feet of bed and then put on some more in the fall.

I have often been warned (usually by people with a LOT less experience, but not always!) when they see me heaping it all on that I'm going to burn my plants, vague cautions about how I "shouldn't" use so much, etc., all of which I ignore and get huge and productive plants.

In 1975 I did burn out a small row with, well, fresh and liquid rabbit stuff, and also the fresh chicken manure did result in VERY tall strawberries and tomatoes with not much fruit.....and I learned all I needed to know from that. Don't use it THAT fresh, and read up on the fruiting issues. Tomatoes like fertilizer, but don't go crazy.

Otherwise, in decades of raising a lot of animals and plants, it seems to me that more manure is always better and that the limiting factor is simply strength, and time --

This year, for instance, I grew winter squash in pretty much undiluted old but uncomposted horse manure from a nearby run-in, piled up in small hills, and they were very, very happy to sprout and grow in that.

Manure: more is better. Anyone disagree? Comments?

Comments (33)