SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

In praise of shrubs

Hi folks

We have lots of threads celebrating various categories of roses - hybrid teas, floribundas, Austins, gallicas and other OGRs - but what about the poor neglected shrubs? Having a thread to pick the best "shrub" rose is a bit of a comedown for even the winners - it's like winning the Academy Award in "other" or an Olympic Medal in "miscellaneous". Ah, the blow to the dignity of roses in this category, to have no real identity beyond, well, a bush.

Maybe that's why we seem to create subcategories to characterize roses within this group. I'm going to leave Austins entirely out of this discussion (though most are technically "shrubs"), since they have an identity all their own eclipsing roses in almost any other category. I'll show you photos of my favorite shrub roses and invite everyone else to do the same. Let's give the poor neglected shrubs their due - in my yard they tend to be the workhorses on which the whole rest of the rose garden relies. Cold zoners in particular need to pay close attention to these roses as stellar performers under harsh conditions.

I'll start with the subcategory "Easy Elegance", the Ping Lim bulletproof varieties that are liable to rival the Knockouts and Austins for a justifiable place in the easy-care garden centers of the world. I love all 15 of mine, but my favorite hands down is Sweet Fragrance, 5 feet of delicious dark apricot disease free winter hardy - everything I could want except, well... fragrance. Not a bit of it that I can detect.

{{gwi:287731}}

Rivaling the Austins for insanely double and fragrance old-fashioned blooms are the Renaissance series by Poulsen, and Bonita Renaissance is a good example of the several in my yard. All have been floriforous, winter hardy and consequently fairly tall, and Bonita holds this nice apricot color in part shade pretty well.

{{gwi:301408}}

Then there's the Generosas - see how we seem to need to make high-falutin' names for our shrubs? Massad roses have been surprisingly hardy and disease resistant in my yard, and I planted the first three or four of them from Roses Unlimited on a whim from their sales without knowing much about them. For me, Versigny is a hauntingly beautiful mix of colors, fully double and lovely even past their prime as in these blooms. In general Massad roses are among the better survivors among roses from other breeders in my yard.

{{gwi:301409}}

Speaking of survivors, Explorer and Parkland shrubs are true friends to cold zone gardeners, laughing off the winters, growing tall and bushy, and putting out healthy roses all summer long without much care. My favorite of these is still my first, Champlain. I know this photo looks like it's sideways but it's not - all four feet of Champlain cane that sailed through the winters was being smashed horizontal this spring by an even larger Madame Alfred Carriere behind it.

{{gwi:301410}}

Can't mention tough heavy flowering hardy shrubs without mentioning another subcategory of shrubs - the Bardens! Yep, Paul Barden roses that I've grown have been as interesting and hardy as advertised, and I'm at 13 and counting of his roses so far (with hopefully many more to come). I haven't been able to catch as many of them on camera as I'd like, but here's a bloom of Dolly's Forever rose, complete with a little leftover rain in the petals.

{{gwi:301411}}

I do have to admit that my favorite breeder for the foreseeable future is still the Kordes family, because of the amazing variety of truly hardy, healthy, and eagerly blooming roses that are designed for our zone (sadly, most without much fragrance). There are several subcategories of Kordes shrubs that are named - the Verandas, the Fairy Tales, the Circus, the Balconias - I'll show Caramella as an example of the Fairy Tales to illustrate how lush those blooms tend to be. Notice at far right, even the honeybees are fans!

{{gwi:301412}}

A close favorite in breeders is the Delbard family, particularly the fantastic striped Painter series of roses. One of my all time top ten favorites is Edgar Degas below, but if you look through the thread circulating about striped roses you'll realize a surprising number of the really wonderful ones are "lowly" shrubs as well - Rockin' Robin, Wonderstripe, Stars 'n' Stripes, The Nightwatch, and many others. They may be anonymous, but they pack a punch!

{{gwi:284392}}

Of course when you think shrubs in northern zones, you have to think of Bucks. Here's Prairie Sunrise (the lighter apricot blooms in the middle), mingling with Carding Mill (the tallest apricot at back), Elizabeth Stuart (apricot falling off to the right) and Imagine (yellowish tones to the left) - as a matter of fact, all of these wonderful roses are actually shrubs! They're terrific survivors in my zone 4 pocket on the north side of my house. Oh yes, Folksinger - another terrific Buck shrub is sneaking in as the pale pink bush in the back. And the climber? Yep, you guessed it - Quadra, an Explorer shrub climber...

{{gwi:263707}}

But what about the shrubs who don't have a family to call their own? Well, here are some huge groundcover shrubs that can jolly well hold their own. David Barber below is apparently a little known Tantau shrub I got from Heirloom (there weren't any hmf pics so I posted some). He is 2 feet tall and easily 4 feet wide and I've caught his branches getting fresh with the neighboring rose ladies, so I prune him back unmercifully periodically. He blooms nonstop, though a little untidily since he's impossible to deadhead fast enough to do any more than crunch the majority of the dead petals out of a cluster.

{{gwi:301413}}

Fortunately just to his right is a lady who can keep him in check and is every bit his match - the shrub Red Ribbons. She's also a healthy hardy low wide spreader that blooms all season, and I'm sure I saw her pinch David back and give him what-for. OK, I'm sneaking in another Kordes, but they're all over my yard...

{{gwi:301414}}

And let's not forget the single shrubs! Here's Watercolors, who along with Paul Ecke Jr. taught me to truly love the elegance and dramatic impact of singles.

{{gwi:301415}}

So what about the awards, you say, assuming you've made it this far in this very long thread. You can propose your own candidates "best shrub", but here are the awards for my yard:

Third place: Lady Elsie May. She's one of three absolutely reliable constantly blooming roses in my yard, and those three (LEM, Smiling Jean, and Bad Worishofen) were quite literally the only things blooming most of the last drought year. I reluctantly love Lady Elsie May. Why reluctantly you ask? She's not at all the apricot I thought I was planting, but a screaming neon coral that Does Not Play Nicely with Others, she's a rather gangly bush, and her semidouble flowers are practically single (I know - oh, the horror). But she earns a place of respect and honor in my shrub awards for sheer determination, health, hardiness, and curb appeal. I'm now glad she's planted by the front door, although initially I thought I'd make a dreadful mistake against the brick color you can see behind her.

{{gwi:301416}}

Second Place: Meilland Decor Arlequin. On any given day, this one might steal first place in my heart, since it's a wonderfully mutable and intensely saturated collection of hot pink, apricot, creamy yellow, with each bloom a slightly different combination. It's at least 4-5 feet tall without much if any winter dieback, and blooms consistently through the heat of summer with little BS problem in my yard.

{{gwi:301417}}

First Place: Heart 'n' Soul. It was a tough decision, but I'm a sucker for those high contrast picotee blooms, and the dark evergreen healthy leaves just set off the blooms in ways that make my little heart flutter. It's covered in these high contrast blooms off and on all summer, with a pretty fast repeat, and is reliably hardy and healthy without question. To make it even better, this is planted right next to Meilland Decor Arlequin, so they can trade off being stars of the backyard at will, and they play surprisingly well with each other (that is, if you like rose chaos).
{{gwi:301418}}

OK, enough already from me and my yard - I want to be tempted by your candidates for "Best shrub"! Let's hear your stories and see your photos and give these unsung heroes their day in the sun!

Cynthia

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting