SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spectrograph_nc_7b

Soliciting suggestions for foundation shrub

Good morning, folks. I'm here looking for suggestions for a foundation shrub for my house. First, the site: I live in North Carolina in the Piedmont region, zone 7b. The site is facing north east and receives sun until about noon. My soil is heavy clay, though for roses I generally excavate at least 2-3 feet wide and up to 2 feet deep.

What I'm looking for:
- Bloom color from white to "bubblegum" pink (Belinda's dream pink), with anything in between (cream, blush, light pink, etc)
- Somewhat bushy habit with good foliage
- Height no higher than either 4 feet, or happy being pruned back to 4 feet
- Some kind of repeat preferred

I would also appreciate a rose that is at least some what disease resistant. I am not opposed to spraying, but I would prefer to do it as a last resort, and I (and my wife!) would like to rely on good looking plants / foliage as a primary strength of the roses.

I've considered all kinds of shrubs for the site, from English / Austins (Glamis Castle, could be a good bet, sold by our local nursery, Witherspoon), to Chinas (Ducher, too twiggy I think) to Bourbon (SDLM, prone to blackspot?) to modern tough shrubs (Innocencia Vigorosa, which I will likely use in another location). However I have no experience growing any of these and would love to hear from other growers in similar conditions!

Comments (9)