SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kennesaw50

Sawdust results in Garden

General
11 years ago

I tilled about 5 tons of fine dense sawdust into my 3,000 square foot garden this spring, and added 100 lbs. of urea 46% nitrogen throughout the summer. I thought I would pass along the results.

The soil has changed from clay-like to very well-drained and friable, almost like a 50/50 ground sphagnum peat moss/ soil mixture.

The soil would not support most crops this summer. The plants turned yellow from nitrogen deficiency, even with added nitrogen fertilizer, and the soil dried out quickly, even with irrigation, because the sawdust repelled water.

My fall crops, including Brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, spinach and cabbage, have done very well (better than ever before) in the now partially composted sawdust/soil mixture. The soil stays moist but well drained and no additional nitrogen fertilizer was needed. It now drains so well I can even till the soil 2-3 days after a heavy rain! The soil remains loose and friable rather than clumping up.

In the 1,000 square foot area to be used for blueberries I also added 50 lbs. of sulfur. A soil test performed by Penn State produced the following results:

Ph. 4.8 (Optimum) - Was 6.5 in the spring.

Phosphate - 966 lbs. per acre (above optimum)

Potash - 991 lb./A, Slightly above optimum

Magnesium - 953 lb./A, Exceeds crop needs

Calcium - 9,095 lb./A, Exceeds crop needs

Cation Exchange Capacity - 24.2

Organic Matter - 12.8%

A soil test last spring, before adding the sawdust, found calcium and phosphate levels to be below optimum, potash to be optimum, and magnesium to be slightly above optimum. It appears that the sawdust added a large amount of phosphate and calcium to the soil, as well as adding lesser amounts of other nutrients, doubled the CEC from 12 to 24 and more than tripled the organic matter content.

Would I do this again? Absolutely - a short term setback for a long term gain! After having "clay" soil gardens at three different homes, gardening is now much more enjoyable. I no longer have to wait for a week or more of dry weather before tilling (I do far less tilling now - one pass does it). I can pull weeds roots-and-all rather then having the weeds snap off at the surface and regrow. I no longer have to wade through the mud when harvesting crops.

Comments (49)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Just wondering if you have a souce for BARK fines, instead of saw dust. A double or triple ground bark is pretty good stuff.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

kennesaw,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

How much is 5 tons of sawdust by volume?
    About how many inches of sawdust did you till in?
    And how deeply did you till it in?
    What did you use to till it in, rototiller?

Let us know how it performs after next summer's season.

• Related Discussions

Container Garden Experiment Results (Yield per container

Q

Comments (7)
    I did use Miracle Grow fertilizer at first, but then I switched over to Tomato Tone and I liked it a lot better. For one thing, the Tomato Tone seemed to lead to a massive growth spurt. Also, (I'm not sure if this was due to the Tomato Tone or not) but when I started using Tomato Tone the problems with Blossom End Rot pretty much went away. I was losing peppers and tomatoes left and right before that. As far as the dirt, I used the Sta Green primarily because it was relatively light (we live in an upstairs apartment so it all has to go out on the porch) and seemed to have a good consistency. I liked the results, so I will probably use it again this year.
    ...See More

New gardener, new seeds, strange result

Q

Comments (14)
    Ok, here's my solicited opinion, based on personal experience and gut instinct, not necessarily scientific. I don't like them for several reasons. They take a long time to fully expand, more so than just a hydropobic soil. Usually triple-watering is necessary to fully hydrate. They give people, especially those like my Mom with hit-or-miss watering practices a false sense of security. I don't think anything that expands and contracts like that is a good thing in a pot where every square inch should be devoted to something beneficial. They never go away and will eventually find their way into your yard, a landfill or municipal compost. And I just don't like anything that is not normal to the area. Maybe I'm old-fashioned or stuck in the past but I don't "do" perlite, water crystals, vermiculite, peat. There's no way something in a package could be better or even as good as what mother nature provides. (Unless, of course, it's a package of compost or mulch, stuff like that.)
    ...See More

Montreal Botanical Garden trial results

Q

Comments (13)
    Those that know can help you grow. And as is so often reiterated here, those with experience in a similar climate will provide the best input. I recommend Anne, annececilia. How I'd love to read lengthy detailed reports on ALL of her roses! Climbers: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/con0815551515838.html http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0621533929369.html Bucks: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg010004337472.html http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg011855218300.html Easy Elegance: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0917005611209.html On rugosas: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0101585223240.html On the rather rare: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0120013810670.html http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/rosesant/msg0410005912156.html Reading Material (remember zone 4 isn't just where you are): http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/grtlks/msg012313103472.html General: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg0714563528571.html Hope this helps too. Best of luck, Chris
    ...See More

Google search results for gardening sites going wrong

Q

Comments (1)
    What are you suggesting is the reason for the change in Google search results? I am a webmaster for several nonprofit sites and have tried to keep track of these kinds of things. What I have learned is that search results are different for different users depending on their history of searching Google, geographic location and nature of the search. There is no set place a particular website will appear on a Google search. I get different search results if I am at work than I do when I am at home or on vacation.
    ...See More
  • rickd59
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing that.

A test of my soil, a clay loam, earlier this year came with a recommendation to add 6-8 yd3 of redwood sawdust/1000 ft2. I've been using trench composting instead to boost OM but I also regularly apply horse stable waste, which is mostly sawdust. I notice that it dramatically improves the tilth of my soil, reducing the large clods and stickiness. If I don't add N to the soil at the same time, I get almost no weeds in areas I've added sawdust, presumably because the microorganisms that are digesting the wood have tied up all of the N.

I've also read that decomposed wood produces the most stable type of humus in soil.

What is your plan to maintain levels of OM in your soil? Cover cropping? Compost? More sawdust or other amendments?

• RpR_
    11 years ago

Tell us in two years when all the wood had truly decomposed what you soil is like.
    I am really curious, as I have heavy black gumbo and eventually it often, after time, returns to plain old heavy black gumbo in time no matter what I put in it.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Wood products are the best to improve the soil. Most bang for your buck. You are sitting pretty and glad you didn't listen to all the nannies about nitrogen. And it was SIMPLE, you didn't have to go thru all the hocus-pocus like people will tell you that you have to. It all rots in the end. It will continue to get better as time goes on. Wish I could be so lucky.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

Did you plow it in?
    How deep did you work it in?
    What is you subsoil?

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

Losing a years production might be significant to some so that would be a consideration if someone else was trying to emulate this experiment.

As far as I'm aware, sawdust doesn't contain much in the way of nutrients. Making the soil easier to work with certainly has benefits but I'd bet a good quality compost would do that and more.

Lloyd

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your 'experiment' with sawdust.

I think it's important to say that all sawdusts are not equal. Results likely depend on type of wood and age of the sawdust.

I've used free sawdust for years as the brown in my compost used exclusively as mulch. Source is a small mill that uses mostly pine, but also spruce and fir.

I'm trying a different experiment this year as found a source of free bark shavings from a log home builder (only had to pay trucking). This material was already beginning to decompose - parts of it looked like soil and it heated when left in a pile. I've not tilled it in but have heavily mulched my perennial garden with it. Will watch to see if there is nitrogen deficiency but expect there will not be. I use alfalfa tea as fertilizer anyhow so that should prevent any problems.

Sawdust makes a wonderful mulch and many commercial berry producers use it. Good to hear it can also be tilled in to improve clay soil. In many areas sawdust is easier to find than a quality compost so using it to lighten clay soil and adding nitrogen, smaller amounts of compost, and fertilizer if necessary seems to be a good option.

• General
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Answers to your questions:

How much is 5 tons of sawdust by volume? - Answer: 10 full-size pickup truck loads of bagged sawdust.

About how many inches of sawdust did you till in? Answer: About 4 inches.

And how deeply did you till it in? - Answer: About 7-8 inches.

What did you use to till it in, rototiller? � Answer: 9-hp rear tine rototiller.

What is your plan to maintain levels of OM in your soil? Cover cropping? Compost? More sawdust or other amendments? - Answer: Whatever OM is available, grass clippings, leaves, sawdust etc., to be used for mulching only, to be tilled in at the end of the growing season.

What is you subsoil? � Answer: Red clay. The garden is on a sight to moderate slope, so drainage is not an issue. The grass surrounding the garden filters out any soil from the runoff during heavy rains. .

Making the soil easier to work with certainly has benefits but I'd bet a good quality compost would do that and more. - Answer: Yes good compost would be "best", but that was not an option. I did not want 5 ton sawdust compost pile in my yard, nor was I willing to pay several hundred dollars to purchase compost.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

What was the cost for the nitrogen?

• jonfrum
    11 years ago

The only real difference between incorporating sawdust and peat in your soil is that the sawdust has a greater surface area, so it will break down faster, and draw nitrogen out of the soil proportionally. Balancing added nitrogen to account for the decomposers is going to be tricky if you're growing crops at the same time. A year later, you're golden.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

I love it when somebody says use a "good quality compost" as if everyone has access to it and can afford it. I don't think kennesaw was expecting much. When you have heavy clay the last thing to worry about is Nutrients. You need to improve the texture or nutrients are a moot point. If the plants die because they sit in soggy soil then there's no need for nutrients! Around here the closest you get to "compost" is "landscape mix"- ground up yard waste that has sit for a while. The vast majority of initial N depletion happens in the first few months and goes downhill from there. Mulching with any organic matter without digging it in will not deplete the N.

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

I don't think anyone here said "use a good quality compost".

Lloyd

• dottyinduncan
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your findings. A few years ago, I got a few bags of sawdust mixed with chicken manure. One of them went into a tiny little flower bed, quite a large amount for such a small bed. Every year since, I have been delighted to plunge a spade into the bed each spring! The spade almost disappears because the soil is so light and friable and very easy to dig. given the clay soil everywhere else on the property and the hardness of it, this little bed gives me pleasure. I expect that the combo of sawdust and chicken poo is similar to your sawdust and nitrogen.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    11 years ago

This is interesting. Kennesaw said that 4 inches of sawdust was mixed into the soil for 7 to 8 inches. I too have found that 4 inches of local sphagnum peat moss does a similar loosening job on clayish soils....so very nice to work with. The peat has no delay effect as it is fairly inert, and acts mainly as a soil conditioner.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

pt03, I think you have a memory problem.

• strobiculate
    11 years ago

#sets up popcorn concession# and sets up lawn chairs.

there's no reason you both can't be wrong. no one said use...but some one suggested similar or better results from.

my favorite part around. anyone for lemonade?

• General
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What was the cost for the nitrogen? Answer: $20 dollars per 50 lb. bag of urea (46% nitrogen). I used 2 baqs over the spring and summer.

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

For sure my memory is not what it used to be, but in this instance I don't think it is failing me quite yet. I do think some people are having a comprehension problem though. Having said that, I'm willing to stand corrected if a quote could be found.

Lloyd

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Oh my, Lloyd, here you said:

As far as I'm aware, sawdust doesn't contain much in the way of nutrients. Making the soil easier to work with certainly has benefits but I'd bet a good quality compost would do that and more.

Lloyd
    Remember that? The inference is clear, I don't see how it could be otherwise. Cut and pasted directly from your post on Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 19:35

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

I'll take my response off line.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

Good Lord, the whole Northeast just got bombed back to the stone age, and we're arguing about compost? :-D

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

He started it! ;-)

Lloyd

• luckygal
    11 years ago

LOL guys, let's leave the picky, picky to women where it belongs! ;D LOLOL Even ignorant little me has used the term "good quality compost" a few times. I doubt there is anyone who has been on this forum any length of time who is not aware there are various qualities of compost. Even clay soil does not deserve a compost made with materials saturated with chemicals that will harm their plants. That might be termed 'bad quality compost'.

We all need to keep in mind that we don't all have access to abundant amounts of compost, sawdust, or any one particular amendment. I consider myself fortunate that I live in an area where lumbering is big business and compost is free for the shoveling. Compost I'd have to buy and it's not inexpensive.

This thread has been an eye opener to me and I'm wondering if I should begin another project using sawdust to amend a larger area. Thanks kennesaw (I think!). I'm curious to know if you had to pay for the sawdust you used and if so what was the cost?

AND please, please, please, let us not turn this thread into another peat bashing thread. There are enough of those around.

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

Who is this Pete Moss and why is he getting bashed?

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    11 years ago

Who is Pete? I think he is that rascal that owns/leases about 270 million acres in Canada. Little Pete lives near me...about 10 acres.

I think Pete gets bashed because it's the pc thing to do.

• Lloyd
    11 years ago

I feel kind of lousy for responding to tox with humour, there is nothing funny about this storm and it was inappropriate to do so. Sorry gang.

Lloyd

• General
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In response to the question about how much I paid for the sawdust, I paid $1.00 for each 50-60 lb. bag. The bagged sawdust was also easier to transport the 200 feet from my pickup truck to the garden than bulk materials. It was very easy to blow away any sawdust residue off my pickup truck and driveway using a leaf blower. Most mulches and composts contain 50% or more moisture. Dry sawdust probably contains about 10% moisture. For me it was a very cost-effective, time-efficient method of improving my garden soil. Of course, sawdust amending would not work as well in a dry or cold climate, where the decomposition would be much slower.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I'm interested in the comment that many commercial berry growers use sawdust as mulch. Can you elaborate? Hardwood, softwood, how finely ground (really a dust? or more like chips/ground?).

I have access to very fine hardwood (mostly maple, some cherry) sawdust from furniture shop, I tried it as soil amendment in past and even mixed with N source (tested OK) my plants did not do well in that bed. Too fine to use as mulch (blows away when dry, repels water when wet) or in compost (tends to sift down through pile and settle). I do have a few raised beds (app 1ft x 25ft each) of brambles, had mulched with decomposed wood chips in spring but those are fully decomposed now, covered roots with burlap during recent freeze but I'm looking for a good winter mulch to put over/under burlap now. Was thinking shredded maple/oak leaves.

• Dalmatian
    11 years ago

Gee Guys, I write from downunder - Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. I am ex-UK. They call me a pommie winger. In England they would call you "old Farts" or even "old Tarts". Me, I reckon you are a pack of Shielas. That said, I enjoyed your contributions - nothing like a beer and a good barney.
    O.K. exactly what do you call hardwood. I know you have eucalyptus in California. With old eucalyptus floor boards - you have to drill before you can knock a nail in. River red gum is used as a bearing plate under footings and will last for ever; say 2 or 3 generations at least in poor swampy ground. Untreated iron bark utlity poles are good for 30+ years - even the white ants have a hard time to get a meal. Aussie Oak some might class as hardwood; English Oak is debatable - but neither are true hardwood.
    Mulching with hardwood chips - 2 to 3 years, dig em in and no problem. I left a truck load of harwood chips about 5 or 6 years - grass grew over them after they had settled. I eventually dug them in. So instead of gravel, I have woody, leafy bits to give the soil an open workable texture. I am only a weekend, fair enough is good enough. Here we use a potting mix which is "quality" soil with very small wood and bark chips.
    Keep smiling, Regards to You All; Bill the stirer.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

kennesaw,
    Thanks again.

This is the info I'm adding to my gardening files:

46 lbs of nitrogen over 3,000 sq ft was not enough to overcome nitrogen lockup of 4" of sawdust dug in 8".
    But second season crop didn't need fertilizer.

Someday I may move and have a big garden like yours and this info would be useful.

cheers

• jaf1953
    10 years ago

I have just bought a house that had had a pine tree removed leaving a deep 3-6" depth of sawdust over a 20 X 20 area. Is there anything I can do to help this sawdust decompose? Should I be trying to till it into my soil?

I hate the idea of just trying scrape it all up and cart it away.

Thanks.

• paleogardener
    10 years ago

Use it as mulch, mix it into your compost batch, till it in, just don't cart it away!:)

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Jane, is it the chips from the chainsaws that you have? That is quite a bit more coarse than what is typically meant by saw "dust", which is the debris from a circular saw of some kind.

• jaf1953
    10 years ago

I don't know for sure since this is inherited when I bought the house, but it looks similar to what I've seen before from stump grinding - so pretty fine and finer than a standard chipper would produce.

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

How long has it been on the ground? Weeks, months or years?

• josko021
    7 years ago

I was a little surprised to read above that the only difference between peat and sawdust is the larger surface area of sawdust. Is there really no other difference (to the soil) between these two amendments?

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

Peat is decomposed about as far as it can go already, whereas sawdust is just starting out and will have to go through a fungal decomposition stage which breaks up the fibers and cells, followed by bacterial decomposition. In the end they will both become soil organic matter (humus). Peat will have less of a disruptive effect on the soil in the short term, whereas sawdust will tie up nitrogen while it decomposes.

I think the point was that they will both have similar long term effects on soil texture and tilth.

• josko021
    7 years ago

How much sawdustcoculd a healthy soil accept annually without adversely impacting production? Sure, I understand that ANY amount will lower N somewhat, but could one get away with , say, a 1" layer of hardwood shavings (as a nitriogen sponge) in the fall, and have the soil return to N levels that would support 'reasonable' growth by the growing season?

What about repeating this process annually? Would long term N release from previous years' applications compensate to a degree for N reductions brought about by fresh applicaitons?

• kimmq
    7 years ago

How sawdust, or any other woody material, would affect soil Nitrogen depends on whether you till it in or just lay it on the surface. High carbon material laid on the soil surface, as a mulch, has a negligible affect on available soil Nitrogen whereas the same high carbon material tilled into the soil can cause any plants growing there to have Nitrogen deficiencies.

kimmq is kimmsr

• josko021
    7 years ago

I agree that mulching is less disruptive (of N depletion) than tilling in, but was wondering roughly what amount I could till in without creating havoc with next growing season. My default amendment is seaweed, and I put on a 2"-4" layer each winter, let it winter over on top of the soil, then spade it in each spring. It seems to work; if anything, I seem a little heavy on N for crops such as potatoes and tomatoes. So I'm wondering how much sawdust I could add without causing a huge disruption. I have access to hardwood (woodshop) shavings, and in the past have used them largely as mulch for the raspberry patch.

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    7 years ago

It's a matter of timescale. In situ composting of high carbon material will cause nitrogen depletion. But once it is completely composted, and the soil bacteria take over, nitrification begins and the soil nitrogen is replenished. That happens slowly, and happens best when the soil is well aerated. So tilling in sawdust before you plant is a bad idea. Tilling it in the season before, and retilling a month or so later, should work fine.

I routinely till in uncomposted shredded leaves in the fall and, by spring, the bed is in good shape. Pre-planting beds are only amended with compost, however.

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

You might want to blend in some sawdust/shavings with the seaweed and lay it on together. Wood is a super brown, C:N in the 250-500 range. I would think if the seaweed is wet, a balanced mix for compost is probably going to be less than an inch for 2-4" of seaweed. But you can probably use more than that since you're letting it overwinter. You might try 1/2" and see how it does.

• josko021
    7 years ago

Put on an inch of mostly jointer shavings on (with) my usual 4" of eelgrass. Planning to turn it all under in spring, and will let you know what happens.

• harry757
    7 years ago

josko, always wanted to try composting eel grass so I'd be interested to see how it goes for you. I used it for mulch one summer and it didn't seem to break down at all. Probably has great micro/macro nutrient levels for the garden.

Harry

• josko021
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I do 4"-6" of eelgrass on my veggie garden each year. Typically put it on in late fall and spade it in in the spring. In summertime I find little patches of progressively more fragile clumps, and they're typically gone by fall. Garden's been doing great, although I've learned to apply some N-blockers, such as sawdust when planting things that don't want too much N.

After storm Sandy, I did a large compost pile of eelgrass (that the storm dumped on our beach), leaves and fish scrap that turned out very well. It should be accessible by an 'eelgrass' search here.

• David Victor
    6 years ago

I REALLY REALLY appreciate you posting this. I did the calculations for my 1/3 acre and what you did nearly parallels my current labors.

My garden yields were pitiful and after a rain the soil looks like it salt caps and hardens to the point that many soft plants have a very hard time penetrating the surface. I've done MANY things over the past several years, including cover crops, and nothing has worked. Now desperate problems create desperate and difficult solutions.

Different that you, I'm using about double the Urea which was recommended based on a University of Idaho publication:

http://www.extension.uidaho.edu/nursery/Extension%20Publications/Using%20bark%20and%20Sawdust%20for%20Mulches,%20Soil%20Amendments%20and%20Potting%20Mixes%20-CIS%20858.pdf

Our soil pH is a bit low (acidic) and because of that I'm adding an additional 3600 lbs of pellet lime (per acre). Weed's are not a serious issue but I use plastic film mulch and Tee tape (drip tape) which will help decompose the rough-cut sawdust, keep the urea/fertilizers in-place, warm the soil, keeps the vegetables clean, and naturally does work to keep natural grasses/weeds from spreading out of control.

Again, thanks. This was encouraging and I expect great results.

• toxcrusadr
    6 years ago

Please keep us posted on your progress throughout the growing season!