SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

garden is rubbish....but the tucker is great

10 years ago

I dunno what gardens you are all posting about with such enthusiasm, but mine looks grim. We are at that horribly dull stage where all the roses (and early camps, delphs, lilies and other high summer blooms) are either collapsed in a seedy mess, falling over with mildew, brownly wilted.....you get the idea. Having made a desultory attempt at dead-heading, the roses are, at least, vaguely upright (as opposed to collapsing in heaps) but truly, July is not a great time in the flower gardens (although once the august show of asters, dahlias, zinnias and so forth comes into play, things might cheer up).

However, while I am peering at the bloomy bits with slitted eyes, the fruit and vegetable beds are performing rather well. After last years epic rains (and blights) and because of my divided attentions, the truncated veg plot is missing sweetcorn, chards, brassicas (although next years broccoli has been planted and netted) and peas.....but tomatoes (as I have been previously boasting) are very good this year - especially since I have cut back to a manageable 40odd plants instead of the usual 60-80 and we have gorged till sick on fabulous deep black and luscious cherries. These are so good in the UK we put in another tree for later cropping, so the Sweetheart cherries will be ready just as we have finished the Lapins. Although the strawbs are over, the plot still reeks of hot sweet jam but bad news again in the raspberry beds with cane blight appearing again. I am giving up on these and replanting new beds in the woods, as well as blackberries, currants and many plums. My plums at the plot were a bit of a disaster too (late spring, blossom issues) but I will be trying beach plums and mirabelles in Norfolk. On the other hand, the vicious rejuvenating pruning that the redcurrants and blackcurrants got last year has led to massive crops - at least 8lbs per bush (I have around 30 bushes).
Potatoes are not as good as last year (the rains are always terrific for some crops) but still, this is the only time of the year when we get to have chips as it is impossible to buy good frying potatoes in the UK anymore - something to do with the storage and washing practices, I think, along with the varieties available.
Oh yeah, the pole beans and dwarf french beans - we have been eating these steamed, then sauteed in butter with almonds and lemon - My god- they are gorgeous. Finally, the squashes, which I almost didn't bother with (curcubits in general, glad I did) are doing their thing of hanging in fat golden, blue, deep green and orange globes on the squash hoops. Even the herb beds (which invariably look ratty) are looking good, in fragrant mounds and pillows of thyme, hyssops, sage.....while the lavender, which edges many of the beds and borders, is at peak blueness and fragrance - all-in-all - not a bad time to be a vegetable grower even if the roses and flowers are having their midsummer rest.

Comments (15)