SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Mass Cuttings: How to manage them all?

Donna
16 years ago

Hi, all. I have utter confidence that some of you all can give me advice on a project I have jumped into. Our church is planning to build a new building in about three years, and I have volunteered to provide all the landscape plants for the new building. I figure 150 to 200 plants is what we'll need. I am well along in getting the cuttings rooted. That's not a problem. What I am trying to figure out is what I do with them next. Here's what I am thinking, PLEASE tell me if there's a better way, faster way, etc.

I am starting all the cuttings in quart containers. As the roots fill those up, I plan to pot them up into three gallon nursery pots. At that point, I have a large island bed in my lower back that has been mulched well, but never planted. It gets sun for about 4 hours a day (morning) and shade the rest of the day. It gets water from my irrigation system. I was thinking I would pack it full of the three gallon pots, then fill the gaps between and around the pots with leaves and/or pine straw in the hopes that I can keep them from drying out so fast in our hot summers, and to give them protection from any sudden hard feezes we get in the winter.

I have been using a high quality potting soil, but can see that that's going to get expensive in a hurry. Any ideas for a good alternative, or should I just find a way to pay for the soil? I have never done this before, and am merely guessing as to the amount of time it will take for the plants to go from cutting to planting size. Here are the plants I am working with:

Raphiolepsis (Indian Hawthorn)

Korean Boxwood

Azaleas

Yaupon hollies

Dwarf burfordii hollies.

Also, I plan to put osmocote in the big pots at the time I plant, but how often should I replenish that as time goes by?

Thanks for any ideas and input!

Comments (4)