SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larry_b_gw

Miniature rain forest

larry_b
17 years ago

Hi all,

I would like to thank all of you who helped me brainstorm ideas for me terrarium substrate. It really helped me in determining what to finally use. And what I decided to finally use was the same medium as I use for wick watering my violets. I figured that the drainage would be good and there would be plenty of air for the roots of the terrarium plants. I don't plan on fertilizing a lot, but obviously if I'm going to get the gesneriads to bloom I'm going to have to fertilize them a little bit. My original desire of having something that will last five years, without replanting, is probably not going to happen. I'm now starting to think in terms of putting down a new substrate in a couple of years.

I wanted to show you all the finished product. I figured since there are two African violets in there ( Teeny bopper and Rob's love bite) we are still on topic. I have already posted this on the houseplant forum, but I know many of you don't go over there, so I decided to posted here also. My wife and I really had a lot of fun making this. So without further ado here is our terrarium:

{{gwi:64732}}

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus