SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Container gardening for the perennial lover

Yes I know there is likely some forum especially for this subject on GW.

I'm curious to know how many of you garden in containers and what your experiences have been. What have you grown in them? What has worked and what hasn't? What is your favorite type of pot? Your method of overwintering both plant and pot? Favorite soil/mix to use? How frequently do you find you need to change the soil? How often do you feed your potted perennials? How often do you tend to divide or root prune (on shrubs/trees)?

I must say the idea of getting into gardening in containers is a tempting one for me. My favorite plants are shady ones, especially the delicate unusual ones. Problem is, there is literally no space for them in any garden beds. I DO however have shady spots where pots will work. Its something I'm considering anyway.

This is my second year growing my ornamental rhubarb in the half whiskey barrel. It is doing MUCH better than in the ground, which was a lot dryer and hotter. Its looking a bit rough now, but I'm not sure that isn't just the nature of Rheum. I'm very curious to see how it does next year and whether or not it declines. I'm not looking forward to popping that big guy out of the barrel and repotting it at all, LOL.

Anyhoo, I would love to hear what your experiences have been with growing perennials long-term in containers.
CMK

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH