SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stinkyp

Urine in Compost, P-U!

stinkyp
12 years ago

Hi. I joined this site because the archives revealed that there are people on here using urine in their compost piles. I have used it for several years and it works well at breaking down sawdust and speeding up the compost process by providing moisture and nitrogen. Plus, it lowers the water bill by cutting down on toilet flushes.

Collecting it in the summer, when the windows are raised and the fans are blowing, isn't a problem. In the winter, things get pretty smelly. My collection container is a plastic jug with a screw on cap. It gets rinsed after each deposit to the compost pile. It isn't completely airtight, but 99% of the odor is released when new deposits are made. P-U!

I considered a sawdust/composting toilet, but even if it would work at eliminating foul odors, it isn't practical right now. Can something be put in the jug of liquid gold to deodorize it without hurting the compost pile? There is bound to be a simple, economical solution. How do you all keep it from making your home smell funky?

Comments (14)