SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Does anyone grow Birdie Blye?

jacqueline9CA
12 years ago

This rose is a 1904 Van Fleet multiflora hybrid. I bought it from Suzy Verrier in Maine the other day because she said it thrived in her coastal Maine garden (which I'm sure it does), and I was looking for a rose to give as a gift to my friend who lives near Kennebunkport. My friend has mostly rugosas in her garden near the beach, and of course they do wonderfully.

The other rose she has in her garden that is doing well is Knock Out! Is there nothing that rose can't do? Personally, I think everyone who loves roses should thank Heavens for Knock Out - the fact that that rose was hybridized by an amateur in his garden, and filled a need that had not been filled by all of the fancy, "several generations of rose hybridizing" established companies around the world is amazing. It seems to have finally got the professionals to start seriously trying breed disease free roses, instead of merely having that as a "nice to have", now it is a "got to have". About time!

Anyway, to get back to Birdie Blye - I am just curious. HMF says it is a climber, but it also says it only gets 4-5 feet tall. What kind of climber is that (this is not a mini)? Just wondering how it grows for you, if you grow it.

Jackie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting