SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theoakman

Watering transplanted oak seedlings

9 years ago

Hello! I'm posting because I'm hoping some seasoned oak growers can lend me some expertise. I've transplanted many little seedlings growing on my property and some of them have been growing this summer, while others have stalled out. I'm guessing some of them experienced more transplant shock than others. But what I'm more concerned about is my watering of them. I live in the chaparral biome which isn't quite desert but it's pretty dry here in the mountains. We get about 15 inches/year. The soil I believe is decomposed granite/clay with little rich soil except in a few areas.
I've always been kinda winging it. I don't really have a guide to how much I should water the live oaks at different ages. They're planted outside in their permanent locations. They're in what I believe is finer decomposed granite. I've been watering the oaks every day or every other day because my soil isn't the best for holding moisture. But I've also read that you shouldn't water oaks that often..
How often should I water these oaks with these factors in the calculation: Decomposed granite soil that drains quick, little rainfall, summer temps as high as 105f, most were transplanted within 1-5 months, most of these are little seedlings maybe 7 inches tall.
How much should oaks be watered at their various stages in development? They seem to be responding alright for now, but I don't want to lovingly water them to death/cause oak wilt. Thanks.

Comments (10)