SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodscents_gw

When to till if you till?

goodscents
12 years ago

I know this is a hot issue with people so please keep tempers down. I run a community garden organization in Ann Arbor Michigan (projectgrowgardens.org - don't know how to put the link in) Some of our sites are perennial and never tilled, and some are annual and tilled twice per year, in the fall and in spring. Because these are community gardens, the landowner may require us to till. They want the garden to virtually disappear in the winter. Others don't care.

One of our gardeners would like us to reduce tilling to once per year if possible so I'm looking into it. I have read if you're going to till once annually, then spring is better. But, for us, I am not sure that is right. If we have a wet spring and tilling is delayed, people can't start. This past spring we were unable to open some of our sites until early June it was so wet. If we till in the fall, then people could start as early as they liked. Some could even plant garlic and other things requiring a cold period.

There are also issues with getting the sites cleaned up if we skip the fall tilling. We have 17 garden sites and about 250 plots, so having multiple closing and cleanup dates can get very complicated for me, not to mention the guy who does our tilling.

All our sites are organic, so Round Up and the like are strictly off limits.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Kirk

Comments (13)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional