SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Black Eyed Susans Diseased

I have a small bed of black-eyed susans whose leaves get dark brown spots every year. Eventually the leaves turn entirely brown (or black) and fall off the plant. I know the plants are diseased as are most black-eyed susan plants in the neighborhood. This is the third year that this has happened and the worst. The plants got very few flowers and the few were very short and small. I have treated the plants with a fungicide and try to keep the area free of leaves and other debris. I have even cut off diseased leaves, but the new growth still gets infected. My question is: should I dig all the plants out and discard them? I am starting to think the disease is in the soil. If I do remove the plants, can I plant something else in the bed, do I have to amend the soil, do I have to wait a few years before I replant the area? Maybe I need to do all three--I'm not sure. I would appreciate it if anyone out there can give me some direction. One more thing, the plants have self-seeded in other areas of my yard--some of these new young plants are showing brown spots, but others look perfectly healthy. Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals