SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracktor_gw

Snow removal

tracktor
16 years ago

We have a vacation house in Sullivan County, in NYS that we use more in the summer, spring and fall, but also on odd weekends in the winter. As we're not there often enough during the winter, the snow accumulates, melts, refreezes turns to ice etc. The driveway is 1/4 mile long, one car wide, winding with some minor slopes. The town plows snow over the front of the driveway when they clear the roads which builds up over time.

I have a Husqvarna 11hp walk behind SB, a Craftsman GT 5000 garden tractor, with chains and wheel weights for which I have a 2 stage snowblower that I never mounted (we're not up there long enough to have the time to figure out things like that because when we're up there I seem to always be mowing, weed wacking, blowing leaves, trimming branches, gathering dead wood etc.and when I've finished it's time to start all over. I'm not complaining- seat time is all good (if my wife is over my shoulder I mean work) - 10 acres, about 3 acres of mowable grass)). I also have a Kubota B2910 compact tractor (3ohp diesel) with fel- loaded tires and rear chains. The walk behind SB is useless when the snow melts and refreezes. I think the Craftsmen GT 5000 with snow blower would probably be too lightweight underpowered for a driveway that long (we bought it (on sale for less than half price) with the Craftsman GT 5000 when we first bought the house and thought the Craftsman garden tractor was more than adequate because it seemed so much larger than the JD riding mower that we use at our primary house) besides blowing snow for that long with wind blowing in all directions would not be pleasant. So I have mostly been using the Kubota with fel. But once the bucket is full the rest of the snow spews out on both sides. Then spews out again on the next run etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions for snow removal using the equipment that I already have as a basis or an implement that would "get it done". I considered an angled snow blade for the Kubota, but we have narrow shoulders with shrubs and inclines on both sides for the length of the driveway.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions