SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emcd124

How to fix low starting moisture problem

emcd124
11 years ago

This is only my second year WSing, but I lead a WS project at my son's preschool. Long story short, I realize that the preschool's jugs are all planted and taped up and put outside but they are all way too dry inside, only damp on the top. What can I do to fix that problem now? Should I wait for an above freezing day and water through the top holes? Or will that screw up all the seeds inside? Should I just leave it and let mother nature fix it or does the method critically depend on good initial starting moisture?

(How it happened: I taught the teachers how to do it and then they taught the students. Unfortunately, at the time I recommended that they put the dirt in and then run water over it until it ran out the bottom, and press to make sure it wasnt too damp. We got the recommended ProMix stuff to use, but I realized later that what happens is that the first quarter inch gets wet, and then the water runs off down the side of the container and out the bottom. So you get bottom run off, but if you stir the mix its bone dry an inch down.

When I do mine at home, I actually stir up a big bucket of mix and wet it and stir stir to ensure it is thoroughly wet, and then press the excess water out.)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus