SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

More tree ID fun...(Acer)

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

There are two types of maples I have seen in my area the last couple weeks that I'm not 100% sure about. I believe one is for sure a cultivar of Acer saccharum, but the other I'm not convinced.

I have some pictures.

First, below, some leaves from the large, old presumably seed-grown Sugar Maple on my street:

{{gwi:380295}}

Pretty typical A. saccharum leaves, albeit a bit smaller than on some trees I've seen.

The remaining pictures on this post are what I perceive to be a specific cultivar or possibly even one of the saccharum subspecies. There are slews of these trees around here (Howard County, MD). Mostly in planned developments, parking lots, and commercial areas. They look to be A. saccharum, but there is something a bit different about them.

The leaves have a slightly different lobe, and are a darker green, glossier, and felt "thicker" or something:

{{gwi:380297}}

{{gwi:380298}}

The trees themselves seem a bit more "squat" and round as opposed to the more typical "upright/oval" Sugar Maple shape. Sorry for the poor lighting, it was getting near dusk when I did this pic. All the parking lot trees you see here are this same cultivar of maple:

{{gwi:380299}}

My guess is it's just a cultivar of Sugar Maple, but does anyone know which one? In that last pic, something about the bark and branching doesn't seem "quite" right.

In fall, from what I can remember, they seem to be a more solid yellow-orange instead of the multicolored red-orange-yellow that Sugar Maples are known for. Quite nice.

For a moment I even thought Shantung Maple, Acer truncatum, but those have almost a more Sweetgum-like leaf.

Any ideas on this one?

I'll post one more also.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022