SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

Tree ID / questions.

Hello everyone.

I have always liked Japanese maples, but I have never actually owned one. I recently decided to put in a small-ish "zen" like garden in a small area of my back yard. The area gets FULL SUN, almost all day until about 3-4PM. After that it gets some mottled sun through the neighbors large silver maple on the far side of their yard, and eventually full shade from a 6 foot high fence.

So I came across some Japanese maples at a local HD, and they were priced much less than what I usually have seen them fore. They had just gotten them in and were priced from 49.97 on up to 160 bucks. I got 2 of the smaller ones at 49.97. I believe them to be Acer palmatum dissectum "Crimson Queen" but I am not certain. Can anyone help ID these for sure. The VAR is not listed on the tags, which is why I am asking here. They are very nice trees about 2 and 1/2 feet tall or so. I could not pass up the deal. They also are came with a guarantee so even better. Here are a couple of photos of the trees and foliage:

My plan is to put them each into a half whiskey barrel like (more like a 1/3 whiskey barrel) containers so they can be moved if / when needed.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can this be done now, or should I wait until they have gone into dormancy for the winter? If I do this now, if I just simply lift it out of its current pot and place it in the new container without disturbing the root ball at all would this be ok? Or, should I just wait until dormancy?

2. From most of what I have read these will do fine in my full sun location. Can anyone here confirm that. I see these all the time planted in yards here, and most of them are in full sun for most of the day and they seem to do just fine. I live in a zone 8A / 7B in Northern Virginia, just a long stones throw from the Potomac River and just across from downtown Washington D.C., well within our urban heat island.

3. How much more vertical growth can I expect from these. Will they grow much taller, or are they going to stay the height they are now. FYI, these trees are grafts. The root stock they are one is one of the star shaped and green leaf varieities of JM's. I know this because some trees there had small branches with the green leaves coming out of the lower trunk. The two I have do not have this, and I know to trim that growth off if any does appear.

4. Can anyone confirm that these will be good in containers left outdoors all winter with little to no protection other than being up against a fence? I will be raising the containers about 1/2" or so off the the ground as well. I will also be using about 1" or so of wood chip mulch in the containers.

5. Should I line any wood container with plastic and pole a hole in the bottom where the drain hole is. I will also be placing about 1/2" or so of small pebbles in the bottom, as well as placing a piece of broken terracotta over the hole to keep it clear.

6. What, if any is the best commercial soil/ potting mix to use for these in containers? If there is no commercial available, what should I use to create my own mix. I have sand, peralite, tree soil (but it says to use that only for in ground plantings).

Any and all help with this is really appreciated! I'm definitely not new to gardening, and I am in fact a certified Master Gardener in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I am however somewhat new to growing JM's though. Anyway, Thank you again for any help / advice you can give! Much appreciated.

Peace. Namaste.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County