SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

releasing a maple growing under spruces

joeschmoe80
9 years ago

The previous owner of my home, in his infinite wisdom, planted a small "forest" of Picea pungens some 40-ish years ago, if I had to guess. Half of them are dead, and most of the rest look pretty bad, getting whatever disease it is that seems to kill all blue spruces after a while.

So my wife and I agreed they've got to go. However, today when I was out there, I noticed that, despite the deep shade under these trees, there are a handful of seedlings and sapling trees under there. Most are maples - Norway maples, in fact, and, since I hate Norways with a passion, they're gone, too. However - one tree is actually a Sugar Maple. It's tall and lanky, about 11 feet tall, but barely an inch caliper. It's sparse, as you'd expect from a tree growing in shade, but it looks pretty healthy and has a nice shape and good strong central leader. It's a tree that seems to be worth saving and is in a good spot for a tree when the spruces are gone.

My question is - if I were to keep this one tree - would it adjust well to suddenly being in full sun and grow well? I mean, would it fill in, lose the lankiness, and start looking more like a tree grown in the open?

Since all the surrounding spruces can be reached from the outside of the little forest, I should be able to fell the spruces with minimal disturbance to the sugar maple tree.

1 - if I do this now - would the sudden transition from cool shade to hot summer sun scorch the tree or damage it? If so - would waiting until fall or winter when the maple is dormant be better?

2 - Will the tree's growth "correct" itself over time, once it's growing out in the open?

3 - any other pointers?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022